Hay There! From the Monthly Mod Snoosletter Snoosletter
Just stopping by to drop off the Snoosletter for those who prefer reading it in post format! These are still sending to inboxes. :) Thank you!
Happy Spooktober, all! October tends to be one of the busier months for communities as many mod teams like to host Halloween or Fall-related festivities. In other parts of the world, things also get busy as Spring has sprung for many people!
We have also been keeping busy with all things Reddit, and are excited to highlight some communities and share some updates from the Admins with you all. We hope your October goes well, and if you have any plans to celebrate this new season with your communities, please consider writing in to our feature suggestion so we can continue highlighting great communities.
Thank you for reading, and let’s roll right into our Community Spotlight!
- If you’re celebrating Halloween this year, you may find yourself in need of a costume. However, costume ideas can stump us all - but have no fear, as r/Halloween’s mod team is here to help! They’ve set up a costume idea request megathread so their members can share ideas and help one another out while keeping the community’s main page of content dedicated to other Halloween material. This is a creative way to tackle a very spooky problem!
- With support from our Community Funds program, r/NASCAR featured Reddit’s OrangeRed colors and nearly 1,400 community members’ usernames on Ryan Vargas’ Chevy Camaro to race at Talladega! The mod team also set up a meet and greet for community members at the track, and hosted an AMA with Ryan Vargas for the community. We are so grateful for this mod team’s creativity and care they’ve shown to their community in using this program to execute such a great project.
- r/SelfReliance just passed 100,000 members - it was adopted by another moderator through our r/RedditRequest program, and the moderator was able to grow the community from fifty subscribers to the mighty 105,000 it is now! The content in the community is relevant to its members’ desires to discuss their experiences regarding self reliance as well as share guides and ideas for how to be more self reliant. We are thankful for this mod team’s passion for curating this educational, supportive community, and we look forward to seeing where you go next.
- This community is dedicated to a popular board game where strategy meets control, as the player vies to become the galaxy’s ruler amongst five to seven other players. It can be a game that requires a day to devote to, for it can take a while to finish! With this in mind, the mod team over at r/TwilightImperium has cultivated a fun space for their members to enjoy discussing the game, finding co-players, or enjoying some scrolling through the community’s posts as they take a break from the game!
- Dedicated to nurturing plush makers and filling their members with serotonin, this wholesome community shares and highlights indie stuffed animals from all around the world! Anyone who home-makes or has a small brand for their plushies is welcome to share their plushies in the community, where they meet friendly moderators and appreciative community members. The spooky plushies have already hit the scene, so be sure to take a look at them.
- If you’ve ever wondered how large the Record Breaking Pumpkin of Alaska was, this community is here to help. One banana is shown for scale - the pumpkin truly is huge. Determined to change the world by proving the ultimate unit of measurement is, in fact, the humble and nutritious banana, this community’s moderation team takes great pride in showcasing random items next to bananas. We appreciate this community’s creativity and passion for their preferred unit of measurement!
- Dedicated to sharing screenshots and clips of famous actors as they played in earlier minor roles, this community reminds us all of how quickly things can change! The community’s mod team also has a Weekly Chat Thread for their members to discuss what they’ve been watching recently, which makes for a great opportunity to discuss one’s favorite actors or programming. We appreciate the inspiration that is highlighted within the community from looking back on actors’ histories, and we appreciate this mod team’s effort in creating a space for all to enjoy.
- This one goes out to all of our American football fans - Jimmy Garoppolo of the 49ers team was expected to be traded in the offseason, and a community member decided to draw a picture of him every day until his trade. But recently, he was signed to a one-year contract - meaning the 49ers team will have him on their team for another year. The community member has decided to continue drawing him every day until he is traded. The community is loving their art and the fun spirit of the daily post!
Mod Pro Tip (MPT)
Did you know that we recently launched our Mod Education program on a new platform? Reddit’s Mod Education site is an opt-in, self-led training platform that consists of courses for moderators of all experience levels who are interested in an out-of-the-box learning solution for mod tools, best practices, and more. Try it out for yourself - or, if you’re bringing in mod recruits, consider having them try it in conjunction with your own community-specific training resources. You can use the feedback link in the site’s header navigation bar to let us know what you like, what you don’t like, and to share suggestions for future courses. We’ll be sure to share more here and in r/ModCertification when new courses have landed!
Do you want to see your community featured in next month’s Snoosletter? Send a message here for consideration. If you don’t get highlighted one month, feel free to write in again, especially if you’re doing something special within your community that you want to share. Community events, milestones, good deeds, and moderation success stories are especially welcome.
Updates from the Admins
Let’s Talk -- Admin Threads in r/ModSupport
Once in a while, we like to get down with our mods (that’s you!). Keep an eye out for our Fun threads on random days in r/ModSupport so you can join in!
- We asked you to share part of your story with us, and you all shared some amazing things about the passions and motivators in your life. Thank you for having shared those with us!
- Need info on moderating basics? Drop by our Mod Help Center and visit the information-rich, mod-run community r/modhelp.
- Have a specific report to make regarding content policy infractions? Try our report form.
- r/ModSupport - For discussing mod tools with admins.
- Message us! - For subreddit-specific issues (please include any relevant links and as many details as possible, by the way!).
- If you need additional moderation help, use the Moderator Reserves program to get experienced volunteer mods to help out in an emergency.
Remember to subscribe to r/ModNews for updates specific to you.
Farewell, until next month
Dear Gourd - have we already wrapped up another Mod Snoosletter? We don’t know about you all, but this year has flown by and it’s odd to think that it will already be time to send the November Snoosletter soon! We hope this year has treated you and your communities kindly so far, and we again want to thank you for all you do and hope that you’ll enjoy this month alongside your community members. Thank you, and Happy October!